Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Halloween Part 1

It may seem as if I'd completely given up being crafty, but between living for 4 months without any supplies, and then moving across the world to a little place called Australia, I haven't had a lot of opportunity. However, with a new house to make into a home, there will be lots of crafting going on to make up for my hiatus.

Even though it's already a week into October, Beth and I have decided to do a count-down to Halloween and post some fun things we've either made or would like to make. Australians don't do Halloween, so I've really had to dig in to find things that work. It's amazing how far a metre and a half of orange fabric will go.

My first project is an offshoot of this Christmas project I completed last year inspired by the fabulous V&Co.

Here's how to make your own.

First cut out the fabric you want to back the wreath. I used a thin off-white muslin, but any cotton will work fine.
Figure out how big you want the circle to be and use a bowl or pan lid to trace a circle.

Choose your fabrics. I used 4 fabrics here, but if you want it to be more or less colorful/busy you may use more/less. Cut fabric into strips 3"x1.25". Iron down the middle, like a hot dog.

Then iron both ends down so the middle comes to a point on top.


Once you have 10-12 of each color (if you stick to the 4 total) start gluing them onto your fabric backing.

You might want to lay them out first to see how it looks and make any adjustments.

Then mount it in your frame, securing the muslin with some tape.
I added a little green stem to mine to make it look like a pumpkin and added some text using thickers.

Good luck, and happy crafting! Stay tuned for lots of cheap and easy ideas.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment